Contents „C++ Basics Programming Training“
This course on the basics of C++, together with the advanced C++ course, provides a comprehensive overview of modern C++. It differs from many other C++ courses in that the new language elements of C++11, C++14 and C++17 are used right from the start.
It is aimed at software developers in companies who want to learn C++ for professional use. The course can be conducted with the compiler of your choice (Microsoft C++ with Visual Studio 2017, gcc etc.).
The contents (here in detail as pdf) can be adapted to the wishes of the participants.
This C++ basic course covers the basics of C++ and object-oriented programming.
1. Elementary Data Types and Instructions
- Integral data types (int, bool, char, etc.)
- Floating point data types
- Standard conversions
- Type safe initializations and conversions with initializer lists
- Elementary statements (if, for, while, etc.)
- Constants with const and constexpr
- Preprocessor instructions (macros, pragmas)
2. Functions, Value- and Reference Parameters
- Value and reference parameters
- Function pointers
- Inline functions
- Default arguments
- Overloaded functions and operators
- Functions of the standard library (e.g. math.h and cmath)
- The „function type“ std::function
3. The string classes string, wstring etc.
- Member functions for string manipulation
- Raw string literals
- Unicode strings
- Conversions between strings and elementary data types
- Regular expressions
4. Simple self-defined data types
- Classes defined with struct
- Weak and strongly typed enumeration types (enum)
- Pointer variables and the address operator
- Dynamically created variables, new and delete
- Dynamic Arrays
- Arrays, pointer arithmetic
- Function pointers
- Linked lists and tree structures
- Zero terminated strings and associated library functions
6. Object-oriented programming
- Classes, data members and member functions
- Data encapsulation: private, public and protected
- The this pointer
- Constructors and destructors
- OO Analysis and Design
- Standard constructor, copy constructor, and assignment operator
- Static class members
- Inheritance and multiple inheritance
- Implicit conversions between classes in a hierarchy
- is-a and has-a relationships – inheritance vs. composition
- Virtual functions, override and polymorphism
7. Container classes
- vector, list, deque etc.
- The range-based for loop
- Algorithms of the Standard Library
About „C++ Basics Programming Training“
Target audience for this C++ training
Software developers in companies who want to learn C++ for professional use.
Teaching style of the C++ seminar
Lecture with many examples. A balanced combination of theory and practice.
- At the beginning of a new topic, an overview of applications, basic ideas and syntax is given.
- The concepts and the syntax are illustrated by using carefully selected and proven examples. Often, best practices" are presented.
- The manuscript contains numerous practical exercises.
- If desired, tasks from the work of the students can also be dealt with. This should be arranged before the start of the training.
Extensive and detailed training materials (approx. 200 pages) - Full text, no PowerPoint slides containing only keywords. Therefore, the course materials can also be used as a reference at work.
Place and time of this C++ training
This seminar is offered as an inhouse seminar (at your site). The implementation as a face-to-face seminar is preferred, but is also possible as an online seminar. Dates by arrangement.
Duration: 5 days
Prof. Richard Kaiser has been conducting seminars for companies for many years, mainly on software development and the programming languages C#, C++ and C. He knows the requirements of practice and addresses them in detail, both in the basic concepts and in the details. His clients include renowned global corporations and small and medium-sized enterprises. He is the author of several books on C++, most recently "C++ mit Visual Studio 2019". He was a member of the DIN standardization committee Information Technology NI-22 for many years.